James Woodward & Sons, 64 St. JamesSt. , Pall Mall, London 12 Gauge game gun with Jones underlever round body action with rebounding locks and carved percussion fences built in 1886. Now with 28" SkI/IC seamlessly sleeved nitro proof barrels with excellent bores and Birmingham proved. Chambers are 2 1/2" with forcing cones opened. Bores measure .730 right and left. Choked .006 on the right and .011 on the left. Barrels ring like a bell. The top rib inscription is somewhat faded with some old pitting on the top rib. The reciever has gone silver. It has never been brushed. 70% coverage of scroll engraving which remains sharp and distinct.
The straight grip buttstock has near exhibition English Walnut with dark contrasting lines. Engraved steel buttplate with widow's peak. DAC-1 1/2" DAH-2 1/2" 6lb 4oz Both buttstock and snap on forend remain completely solid with no cracks or repairs.
This gun has every appearance of a complete English refurbish, almost certainly when the barrels were sleaved. It is cased in a modern Brady case with Woodward trade label, rosewood three piece cleaning rod, and brass oil bottle. It was completed in August of 1888 for Mr. John M. Heathcote, Esq. Mr. Heathcote was a famous Victorian era tennis player who invented the modern flannel covered rubber tennis ball and was the Amateur Single winner in 1888 as well as the author of books on tennis and decoys. His gun, from one of Britain's top tier makers and from the Golden Age of British gunmaking, epitomizes grace and elegance. It has excellent game gun weight and dimmensions. This very gun was featured in two articles of "Double Gun Classics" which are included.